Ready to get creeped out? On this page you will find our collection of psychological horror facts – carefully selected and organized for our horror-loving readers!
Remarkable Animal Behaviors
- Pigs possess a voracious appetite and can consume an entire human body due to their indiscriminate eating habits.
- The Japanese Hornet, one of the world’s largest and most venomous hornets, can cause kidney failure with its sting.
- Male angler fish have a peculiar mating behavior where they bite the female, leading to a fusion of their bodies, resulting in sexual parasitism.
- Demodex, known as eyelash mites, reside on most adult humans, emerging at night to mate and lay eggs in hair follicles.
- Mice and rats can transmit at least 35 different diseases to humans, including salmonellosis, hantavirus, and rat-bite fever.
- Crows are exceptionally intelligent and can recognize human faces.
Strange Death-Related Facts
- A person’s sense of hearing is the last to diminish upon death.
- Old age itself is not a cause of death; it is diseases associated with aging that lead to mortality.
- Dead bodies can inflate like balloons around the fourth day due to the release of gases and fluids.
- Bodies decompose four times faster in water than on land.
- Within three days of death, enzymes from the digestive system initiate the digestion of the body.
- Corpse wax can develop in some cases, preserving remains for extended periods.
- Forensic scientists determine time of death by examining the species of insects found on the body.
Unusual Natural Occurrences
- The universe remains entirely silent due to the absence of air for sound to propagate, despite its numerous explosions and movements.
- An astronaut’s footprint on the moon can endure for millions of years.
- All the planets in the Solar System (excluding Pluto) can fit in the space between Earth and the Moon.
- In 2015, an estimated 4.8 to 12.7 million tonnes of plastic entered the world’s oceans.
Unique Cultural Practices
- Zoroastrians practice sky burials, placing the deceased outdoors to decompose while allowing carrion birds to feed on the body.
- The Sedlec Ossuary in the Czech Republic features decorations made from human bones, housing the remains of 40,000 to 70,000 individuals.
- Purple Hearts from World War II were produced in abundance, with 495,000 unused after Japan’s surrender.
- Scaphism, an alleged ancient Persian execution method, involved victims being exposed on water in a boat, attracting flies and vermin with milk and honey.
Curious Biological Facts
- Situs inversus is a rare genetic condition where organs in the chest and abdomen mirror normal anatomy.
- Pine trees have been found to grow inside a man’s body, initially mistaken for a tumor.
- Foreskin is utilized to cultivate skin for skin grafts, yielding significant amounts of skin tissue.
- Men who are hanged may experience a death erection, known as rigor Erectus.
Bizarre Historical Anecdotes
- The Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland initially used real skeletons, later replaced with authentic-looking fakes.
- Poveglia in Italy is considered the world’s most haunted island, previously used as a quarantine site during plague outbreaks and a mental asylum.
Startling Health and Environmental Statistics
- Homicide archivist Thomas Hargrove estimated over 2,000 active serial killers in the United States in 2017.
- In 2019, the Earth experienced its second warmest year on record, with the five warmest years occurring since 2015.
- Over 1.2 trillion gallons of sewage, stormwater, and industrial waste are discharged into US waters annually.
- Approximately 153,000 people worldwide die every day.
Interesting Human Quirks
- More than 7,000 people die annually due to doctors’ illegible handwriting.
- Left-handed individuals tend to have a slightly shorter lifespan, about three years less than right-handed people.
- It takes the felling of 27,000 trees daily to produce toilet paper for human use.
- Teeny tiny mites live on our eyelashes.