In this article you will find a gathering of random knowledge – facts, oddities and things you propably didn’t know.
Avocado and Eiffel Tower
- Avocados are a fruit, not a vegetable, classified as a single-seeded berry.
- The Eiffel Tower can be 15 cm taller during summer due to thermal expansion.
- Trypophobia is the fear of closely-packed holes or irregular patterns.
- Allodoxaphobia is the fear of other people’s opinions.
- Australia is wider than the moon in terms of diameter.
- Vatican City is the smallest country in the world, 120 times smaller than Manhattan.
- There’s an ant species unique to New York City known as ManhattAnts.
- Language and Entertainment:
- ‘Mellifluous’ describes a pleasingly smooth and musical sound.
- The Spice Girls were originally a band called Touch.
- Amy Poehler was only seven years older than Rachel McAdams when she played her mother in Mean Girls.
- Japan has over 200 flavors of Kit Kats, including some unusual ones.
- New Zealand was once auctioned on eBay.
- There’s a town in Oregon called Boring with a sister city in Scotland called Dull.
- There’s an island in Japan inhabited by bunnies.
Knowledge About Animal Oddities
- It’s illegal to own just one guinea pig in Switzerland.
- The heart of a shrimp is located in its head, and they have an open circulatory system.
- An ostrich’s eye is bigger than its brain.
- A jiffy is an actual unit of time, equal to 1/100th of a second.
- Pigs can’t look up into the sky due to their spine and neck anatomy.
- All clownfish are born male.
- Crows can recognize human faces and remember them for life.
- Only 5% of the ocean has been explored.
- A group of lemurs is called a “conspiracy.”
Random Miscellaneous Facts
- Kim Kardashian has a ‘glam’ clause in her will to ensure her appearance remains perfect.
- Ketchup was once sold as medicine for indigestion.
- The world’s longest walking distance is 14,000 miles, from Magadan, Russia, to Cape Town, South Africa.
- The moon experiences moonquakes due to tidal stresses.
- Humans are the only animals that blush.
- All the clocks in Pulp Fiction are set to 4.20.
- People are more creative in the shower due to increased dopamine flow.
- Human tongue prints are unique, like fingerprints.
- It would take 19 minutes to fall to the center of the Earth, although it’s not advisable.
- Watching horror movies before viewing abstract art enhances the experience.
- Roald Dahl was a spy during World War II.
- NASCAR drivers can lose up to 10 pounds in weight during a race due to high temperatures.
- Indians read the most in the world, spending an average of 10 extra hours reading per week.
- Human teeth are the only part of the body that cannot heal themselves.
Knowledge About Food and Beverage Oddities
- Prunes were used instead of saying “cheese” in old photographs.
- Blue whale tongues can weigh as much as an elephant.
- The salty taste of bacon comes from the curing and brining process.
- Cap’n Crunch’s full name is Horatio Magellan Crunch.
- The most widely printed book in the world is the IKEA catalog.
Facts About Natural World Wonders
- Crocodiles cannot stick their tongues out.
- Pineapples are named after pinecones due to their spiky appearance.
- Scotland has over 400 words to refer to snow.
- There are more than 1,000 types of bananas in the world, divided into 50 categories.
- Mushrooms can glow in the dark.
Unusual and Random Historical Facts
- Gatorade was invented at the University of Florida.
- Lobsters pee out of their faces to attract mates.
- Abraham Lincoln was a successful competitive wrestler.
- A group of porcupines is called a prickle.
- Finland has more saunas than cars.
- There was a fifth member of the Beatles named Stuart Sutcliffe.
- Cap’n Crunch was once sued for not using real berries.
- Timothy Leary escaped from prison.
- The story of Beauty and the Beast aimed to promote arranged marriages.
- There’s a park ranger in the U.S. who was struck by lightning seven times.
Pop Culture and Celebrity Tidbits
- Dolly Parton once entered a Dolly Parton lookalike contest and lost.
- Jennifer Aniston turned down a role at Saturday Night Live before Friends.
- Lady Gaga runs an Instagram account where she rates onion rings.
- A janitor invented Flamin’ Hot Cheetos, leading to a promotion to an executive role.
- There is only one country without mosquitoes: Iceland.
- The British royal family isn’t allowed to play Monopoly.
Music and Entertainment Facts
- The world’s longest concert lasted 453 hours.
- “Rap God” by Eminem is the song with the most words.
- Freddie Mercury had four extra teeth in his upper jaw.
- The official sport of Maryland has been jousting since 1962.
- The oldest living animal is a tortoise named Jonathan at 190 years old.